Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chicken gumbo



This is a old favorite of mine that is true comfort food with many layers of flavor. I met Chef Paul Prudhomme once at a restaurant I was working at and was very impressed by his attitude and style of cooking, he is known as the godfather of Cajun style cooking and there is a little bit of his style in every bowl I make. My Gumbo is made up of a combination of flavors, the southern "trinity" of onion, celery and green bell pepper cooked till soft and caramelized, smoked spicy sausage, shredded chicken meat and nutty brown roux added at the end to thicken. Slow simmered then ladled over a mound of simple steamed rice. Maybe garnish with chopped green onions and for me a healthy splash of Louisiana crystal hot sauce!
Note: Okra can be used but a lot of people don't like it, so its optional if you want to use it.

No comments: