Its the holiday weekend and the official kick off to the summer season, Fire up the grill right? No this year its cloudy and cold with rain and fresh snow in the mountains. With the last breath of winter I decided on cold weather comfort food. Slow braised chicken legs with tomatoes and garlic over a pool of creamy soft polenta.
For the chicken:
2 organic whole chicken legs
1 t chopped rosemary
1 t chopped thyme
3 Roma tomatoes, large dice
5 cloves garlic
1 small onion, sliced
1 dash white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1. Season the chicken legs with salt/pepper and herbs, brown the legs in a pan with a dash of olive oil, add chopped tomatoes, garlic, stock and wine.
2. Cover pan and simmer for 45 minutes till tender.
3. Remove cover and reduce liquid till slightly thickened.
For the polenta:
3 cups chicken stock or water
Salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring liquid to a simmer and slowly stir in polenta with a wire whisk to prevent lumps.
2. Slowly cook while stirring occasionally (about 20-30 minutes)
3. Stir in the cheese and check for proper seasoning, the cheese might give enough salt.
To serve: Spoon soft polenta on to plate, place one leg on top and spoon sauce over, can be garished with fresh chopped parsley.
Note: There is a lot of options to this recipe, try adding any of the following: chili flakes, capers, olives, fennel bulb, brocolini, wilted spinach, etc.... Any remaining polenta will get firm when cool and can be cut and grilled for other dishes.