Saturday, December 12, 2009

Julia Child and Cookbooks

I recently saw the new movie Julie & Julia which is based on a modern writer cooking her way through Julia Child's ground breaking book Mastering the art of French Cooking. I know of Julia's story well and have even seen Julia's real kitchen on display at the Smithsonian in Washington DC, she is credited with making classic french cooking accessible to the common people. It got me thinking of what cookbooks inspired me to learn more about cooking. My early cookbooks were classic french cooking from famous chefs like August Escoffier and Paul Bocuse, later I bought a lot of Jacque Peppin books which were my favorite because of his style of explaining cooking technique's with lots of photographs, I even met him once a few years back and was very impressed by his simple but professional approach to cooking. Now I buy cookbooks with more specialized subjects like foods from certain regions of the world or restaurant cookbooks. I have a lot of books and looking at them now, give me memories of the foods they inspired me to cook.

No comments: