Sunday, August 01, 2010

Mother's Restaurant, New Orleans

Mother's Restaurant on a hot Evening

Soft Shell Crab Po Boy


I have heard about this place for a long time and I discovered it was only less then a block from where I am staying in New Orleans, the famous Mother's restaurant. This classic Southern place has been around since 1938 and it has all the great food you can expect from this region, Po boys, Gumbos, Jambalaya, Oysters and more. The first thing I noticed when walking towards the restaurant was the huge line of people patiently waiting outside in the 95F heat, it really must be worth the wait. After my short wait to get inside I found it to be old and funky with lots of signed photos on the wall from local and more famous celebrities, a menu is handed to you and then you go back and forth on what its going to be, today its a huge fried soft shell crab Po Boy and a side of red beans and rice. after I take a seat it is delivered and then the second choice, Tabasco or Crystal hot sauce? I choose Crystal which I like better with its pronounced vinegar flavor. From what I hear the name comes from the simple and cheap idea of serving meat scraps with gravy on a bun, the name comes from the person who does not have a lot of money when ordering it, "Poor boy", mine was not that cheap but really good.

Mother's Restaurant, 401 Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130 (504) 523 9656

No comments: