Sunday, August 22, 2010

Plums, Plums and More Plums


I took a recent trip across the bay to the city of Berkeley with the promise of some of the best fruit and vegetables on this Western Coast. The store I went to is the famous Berkeley Bowl which is simply amazing with its huge selection of all foods. The one item that really caught my eye this trip, was more plum varieties then I have ever seen in my life. I really needed to buy and try one of each variety, and I also wrote down all the names so I could remember what each one looked and tasted like. The crazy names included King Midas, Flavor King, Elephant Heart, Mariposa, etc. I ate most of the Plums plain and raw but had the idea to grill some to go with a mixed green salad. The plums were pitted, quartered and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and placed onto a hot grill for about a quick minute to still retain some firmness. The grilled plums developed a somewhat smoky flavor and a sweetness from all the natural sugars caramelizing. Simple and delicious.

No comments: