Friday, August 13, 2010

Spanish Style Stuffed Squid

Spicy Tomato Braised Stuffed Squid

One of the perks in living in the San Francisco bay area is its close proximity to the vast Monterey bay which is where most of the Squid sold in the U.S. comes from, for us here that means fresh and cheap! About $1.99 a pound (0.453592kg) I normally go to one of the many Asian markets in San Francisco's Richmond district to buy my squid, the turn over is high which insures fresh squid. I had the idea to cook the squid in a Tapas style using Spanish flavors. To start after I cleaned the squid, I took the cleaned squid tubes and stuffed them with the chopped tentacles and uncooked rice, I did not put to much rice in because it expands when cooked and will break open the tubes. Toothpicks are used to secure the ends. The squid then goes into a small pot with pre sauteed sliced onions, tomato, garlic, Spanish smoked paprika in olive oil. Then the tubes are covered with water or stock, brought to a simmer and then cooked for about 30 minutes. The Squid then come out of the liquid and the toothpicks are removed, the liquid is then reduced down to a sauce consistency and finished with chopped parsley and pitted green olives. The stuffed squid turn out tender and take on the flavors of the aromatic cooking liquid. I haven't made the trip to Spain yet but this is really putting me in the mood.


No comments: