Sunday, September 26, 2010

Korean Style Short Ribs

I grilled these Korean-style short ribs over the weekend and they turned out great. This thin cut of beef short rib is common in Korean cuisine and works well because the thin meat will absorb the marinade faster, and the cooking time will be only minutes compared to the long slow braise normally associated with short ribs. The marinade is soy sauce based with the addition of garlic, ginger and chili flakes. Other ingredients can be lime juice, rice wine, and sesame oil. In Korean restaurants these ribs are often cooked at the table on built in charcoal grills. I used a hot mesquite charcoal fire to quickly sear and cook them, only a few minutes on each side. I served the ribs with steamed rice and Korea's most famous condiment, Kim Chee. This spicy fermented cabbage is a whole story by itself, but I will say for now that I like it a lot. Look for a Kim Chee post soon.











No comments: