Monday, January 24, 2011

Dungeness Crab Risotto

I was lucky enough to attend my eldest daughters school crab feed this last weekend. I gorged on mounds and mounds of Dungeness crab that night and you would think that I had enough? but this is the prize crab of San Francisco and I wanted more. On my way out the door I went to say my good byes to the kitchen staff who were nice enough to give me a box of claws to take home. With this crab I first had the idea to make Cioppino, the famous seafood soup of San Francisco but I chose on doing a rich and creamy risotto. Only a few basic ingredients cooked and I was eating this amazing crab again.

Dungeness Crab Risotto
Ingredients:
5 ounces fresh dungeness crab meat
3 ounces arborio rice
1 small shallot, fine dice
1 pinch chopped parsley
1 cup dry white wine and some for you while you cook
3 cups fish stock, vegetable stock or water, simmering
Dash extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt/Pepper to taste
1 pat butter

Method:
1. Saute the shallot and rice in the olive oil till translucent.
2. Add the white wine, slowly stir till liquid is absorbed by the rice.
3. Slowly add little by little the rest of the liquid till rice is tender, check seasoning.
4. Add the crab meat, parsley and the butter off the heat, stir in and serve immediately.

Yield=2

I served it with a little salad of citrus segments, fennel seed, herbs and crab meat

No comments: