Sunday, April 24, 2011

Farro, Old Grain with New Interest







The food world is rediscovering older foods and making them trendy, one of those is Farro. Its a wheat grain that has different names depending on where its from, in Italy its called Farro, in Germany it might be known as Spelt, in the US its often called Wheatberries or maybe Barley. I like it because it has a dense nutty and meaty texture. I have noticed that it has a flavor like Bulger so I made a Tabbouleh with it. The famous Syrian salad made with Bulger, parsley, tomato, lemon juice and olive oil. I had a nice peice of Feta cheese so I crumbled it and added to the salad.



Farro Tabbouleh

Ingredients:

1 cup Farro, cooked

1 bunch Flat leaf Parsley, chopped

1 Tomato, diced

2 T Lemon juice

3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Kosher salt, to taste

Fresh Pepper

Feta cheese (Optional)


Method:

1. Mix all ingredients together, serve at room temperture.


I served my salad along with a lemon and oregano infused roast chicken.


No comments: