Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kale chips

Oven Dried Kale
It seems that every year there is a new food trend, such as pomegranate juice a few years back. This year a vegetable that is quickly gaining popularity is kale. I find many varieties in my local market or farmer's market. It's a sturdy green that will cook and still retain its shape and texture without turning to mush. I often cook it with bacon and serve along side my favorite foods. A new method I learned is to dry it in the oven until it's crunchy like a chip. It's a great way to preserve large quantities and healthy too.

Kale chips
Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh kale
Dash extra virgin olive oil
Sea or kosher salt

Method:
1. Cut out the center rib and wash well, spin dry.
2. Toss in olive oil and season with salt.
3. Lay out on sheet pan covered with parchment paper or silicone mat.
4. Place in preheated 300F oven for 10-15 till dry and crisp.

Good as a snack or maybe as a crunchy garnish with your favorite recipe.

No comments: