Monday, February 10, 2014

Saiwaii Ramen Noodles


Spicy Garlic Tonkotsu

Tonkotsu Pork Flavor with Kikurage

Custom Made Butterfish and Unagi Roll
On a recent cold and rainy weekend I wanted a big bowl of steaming hot noodles. Most of the time I frequent a Pho restaurant on Clement Street in San Francisco, but I had another soup idea this time. Japanese Ramen soup is becoming very popular now and lots of restaurants are popping up everywhere. I visited one of San Francisco's Asian neighborhoods on Irving Street right off of 19th avenue; this is where Saiwaii restaurant is located. A somewhat small space but with comfortable seating. This restaurant specializes in Ramen noodles with many popular variations and a list of optional additions like pork belly, egg and seaweed. There is also a big sushi list as well as a menu of classic hot Japanese entrees like tempura or pork Katsu. I expected good food but was blindsided by how good it was, complex and refined with amazing flavor and textures. It's my new favorite restaurant and with decent prices too.


Saiwaii Ramen
2240 Irving Street
San Francisco, CA
94122
415.665.7888

No comments: